Friday, November 11, 2011

AEDM - Phases

Art Every Day - Day 11 my day 6

I knew early yesterday that creating for AEDM just wasn't in the cards. I honestly tend to either crash Wednesday or Thursday nights after my day job and since it didn't happen on Wednesday I knew that it would on Thursday.

So, I consciously decided to take 3 pictures out my window at work during the day.

I work in Manhattan just 2 blocks away from the Empire State building. My office faces North, the sun would be at my back, and one of the buildings across the street is not gray - it is brown, orange and brick. I wanted to capture that building, the sky and the light at 3 separate times.

I took the following pictures close to Noon, 3pm and 5 pm out my closed 11th floor window. These are untouched and unaltered.


Notice how the sky changes, the shadow on the building, and the colors. The light at Noon was so white but by 3pm had become warmer and made the building and the sky richer in color. This is good to know when you are taking portraits. Portraits taken during the middle of the day will be washed out or highly shadowed but if you wait just a few hours the colors will be richer. If you wait too long, you'll miss the best light.

Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. You made up for the days missed. I haven't yet.

    I like the juxtaposition of the photo and how the architecture contrasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! it looks so different depending on the time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea and I love seeing how it changes so quickly... great entry for the day xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...