Thursday, November 10, 2011

Art Every Day - A Necklace via Knotting

Art Every Day - Day 10, my day 5

I have been working on this necklace for about a month now.

No, not consistently, as you can see by other posts I jump around and work on a lot of different projects. This is a necklace of pearls and shell. Each bead is individually knotted. The knot should be placed as close to the bead as possible. Once the knot is secure it is glued.

It has taken me awhile, because I honestly, I cannot work on knotting consistently for a long period of time. My hands just don't let me - they cramp due to the tension that you must keep on the silk thread when pulling the knot tight. So, I do a few knots a couple times a week.

I choose to not get discouraged because there is no deadline. The process is different than my other endeavors so, I choose to embrace it. I have also come to accept that when a piece speaks to me and needs to be knotted (trust me, I sometimes sit down with a design and the beads end up leading and changing the plan) I quickly know that I just need to trust and go with the flow.

This piece will be finished on the ends with French wire (which basically is shaped like a very tiny slinky). I will create an s-curve clasp and then I will decide to part with it.

Sometimes, parting with a labor of love is the most difficult part of creating.

Do you ever fall in love with your creations?

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I had a jewelry line several years back and I know how fun it can be to get out all your stones and just sit and make wearable works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what she said! It feels so good to work on something that you get to wear for everyone to see. :-) The necklace looks pretty. Its a classic!

    xoxo
    ida

    http://asplashofida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you jump around and work on so many different projects because I do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a busy girl! Beading is a place I have been scared to go...love jewelery and could see myself getting carried away all the beautiful beads out there. You are tempting me though....and it would be kind of fun to wear something you , yourself, has created.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color and texture of the beads. Such concentration it takes, no wonder it's hard to let it go.
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!! I've fallen in love with my paintings!! I actually had to work through that one. I still hang on to some from years ago, but the satisfaction i now get from letting go is far greater than the satisfaction of holding on. I guess I wasn't ready to share with the world before - and now I am. :-)

    This necklace is beautiful Lori. I can see that it would be so mediative to be stringing & knotting all those beads. Yup, definitely a labor of love. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful necklace! Jewellery making is something I always wanted to try but never got around to it.

    Happy AEDM,

    Serena :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...